Re: next-error-last-buffer

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: next-error-last-buffer
Date: 01 Jun 2004 23:33:44 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 28 May 2004, address@hidden wrote:
>
> >     next-error-no-visit: M-n
> >
> > Let's call that forward-error-message.
> >
> >     previous-error-no-visit: M-p
> >
> > Let's call that backward-error-message.
>
> Wouldn't that be confusing?  We already have the prefixing adjectives
> "next" and "previous" established, now users have to also remember
> "forward" and "backward."  I know Emacs already does it in many
> places, but I think we should try to limit the number of adjectives
> in this case.

I also find the forward-/backward- prefixes inappropriate in this
case; to me they indicate movement in the current buffer or some
other "closed context".

In contrast, the next-/previous- doesn't necessarily indicate any
specific sequence of the visited items (navigating in a list of
places to visit).

> >     next-error-file-no-select: M-}, M-N
> >
> > I'd rather avoid defining M-N and M-P as different from M-n and M-p.
> > We don't need to do it; M-{ and M-} are equally easy to type.
> >
> > Also, let's call these commands forward-error-source-file
> > and backward-error-source-file.
>
> Ditto as above.

Ditto.