Re: arguments hint

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: arguments hint
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 00:22:35 +0300

> > Meanwhile, I decided to practice with Elisp for a bit and came up with the
> > following patch for eldoc-mode.  I assigned copyright to FSF, so if you like
> > the patch, you can include it in Emacs.
>
> Since we are in feature freeze, I think this patch will have to wait.

No problem.  When is the release?

> > The patch makes eldoc-mode highlight the current argument with bold face.
> > Thus one can immediatly see which argument he stopped his point on.  This is
> > maybe not very useful when typing new code, but should be helpful when
> > editing something.  I took care to handle special cases like `&optional' or
> > `&rest'.
>
> I like this idea (even though it is pretty hairy to correctly process
> &optional, [OPTARG], or even &key and such which can appear with functions
> defined with CL's defun*).
> When editing calls to completing-read and other such functions with many
> parameters, it's really handy (although I'd prefer to use CL-style &key
> parameters for those).

Well, I'm not familiar with Common Lisp, so I just handled Elisp cases.
I can try to look into this especially since the patch is delayed.

> > As another, minor, change it highlights function/variable name with
> > appropriate face.  This should help distinguishing between function and
> > variable hints.
>
> That doesn't strike me as terribly useful (the text is pretty different in
> the two cases already).

I can remove this.  The largest part is about arguments anyway.

Paul

P.S.  I'm now subscribed to `emacs-devel', so you can reply to the list.