Re: avoid duplicates in history

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: avoid duplicates in history
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:32:04 +0300

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
> How about the default? Should this be turned on by default?

It seems reasonable to turn it on by default.

> (It would be nice to have a decision about this, so I can write the
> final docs and patch).

When you'll write the final patch, please don't forget to make this
option customizable by adding it to cus-start.el somewhere near
`history-length'.

And please consider the situation where your patch doesn't work.
There is the following condition in `read_minibuf':

              /* Don't duplicate the most recent entry in the history.  */
              && NILP (Fequal (histstring, Fcar (histval)))))

which prevents removing all duplicate elements from the history
with your patch.

This condition is redundant when `history-delete-duplicates' is t.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/