bug in comment-region

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: bug in comment-region
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:36:07 +0200 (CEST)

[CVS 2004-05-30]

Assume this:

  foo

  bar

After calling comment-region I get this:

  ;; foo

  ;; bar

(the actual comment prefix doesn't matter).

The doc string of comment-region says this:

  Comment or uncomment each line in the region.
                       ^^^^^^^^^
This is not how command-region currently works.  I really would like
to have this:

  ;; foo
  ;;
  ;; bar

In case the current behaviour is intentional, please change the
prefix arg to make the function work on all lines.

Or even better, make comment-region work as advertised:

  . A normal call comments all lines of a region.

  . A call prefixed with C-u comments only non-empty lines.  I
    strongly suggest to abandon the current behaviour of the C-u
    prefix (i.e., uncommenting a region), given that we have a
    separate `uncomment-region' function.

      Werner