Re: Bug tracking (was: new *Help* argument highlighting)

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Bug tracking (was: new *Help* argument highlighting)
Date: 11 Jun 2004 13:39:25 +0200

> I said a while back that IMHO we should be a more structured project, in
> the sense of having a plan for releases, with tentative dates, perhaps
> even a release manager, etc.  Someone (Eli, I think, but I'm speaking
> from memory) opposed on the grounds that it costs human resources that
> we don't have.  But the Emacs project has 87 registered developers;
> that's 33% more than Subversion, for example, and they seem to be doing
> well on that regard (though, to be fair, they have four or five people
> paid to work almost full-time on Subversion).

I really don't understand that we manage to get by without using a bug
tracking system.  We seem to manage, but I'm sure there are many
issues which are never fully addressed and resolved.

I use my personal mail archives and TODO list to keep an eye on issue
that I MIGHT want to look into; actually, I have several mails more
than a year old that I really don't know (without using time I don't
have to find out) if the issue is still unresolved.

A major advantage of bug tracking is also to know WHO (if any) is
responsible for fixing a given bug.

I have very positive experience with bugzilla from other projects, but
there may be other choices...