Re: Bug tracking (was: new *Help* argument highlighting)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Bug tracking (was: new *Help* argument highlighting)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:21:01 -0400

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 01:39:25PM +0200, Kim F. Storm wrote:
> I have very positive experience with bugzilla from other projects, but
> there may be other choices...

Bugzilla and the savannah bug tracker stuff both seem to suffer from the
almost fatal flaw that they are almost entirely web-based.  Filing a simple
bug report or managing bugs with either is a painful process, because you are
largely stuck with the slow manual process of filling in a web form.

I'd much prefer something based around email, only using the web where it
makes sense.

Andrew Suffield's `BugGoo' system, which Tom Lord has started using for tla
(replacing savannah's bug tracker), looks interesting.  Andrew is a Debian
developer so I presume it is partially based on experience with Debian's
bug-tracking system (which is generally excellent, at least from a user's
point of view).  http://bugs.gnuarch.org/

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?