Re: query-replace-interactive not documented

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive not documented
Date: 16 Jun 2004 16:35:18 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Just working on a newer version right now.

Ok, here is my current version (apart from documentation which needs
to get added to several places, of course).  I've stolen some
improvements from Juri in the course, but the pleasure's mutual.

I have not added the \? proposal yet as I feel it of dubious utility:
without a proper prompt string, it will probably feel unconvenient to
use in particular where several \? occur, and I don't see a good
syntax for prompt strings: mandating them to be LF-ended would
require C-q C-j even when you don't want them after all, and you can
easily do them with
\,(read-string "My prompt")
anyway.  Maybe a fixed space-terminated (not-escapable) prompt would
do, like
\? xxx
to get no particular prompt string and
\?veracity xxx
to get "veracity" as a prompt.

But I really don't like that too much.

Since the change involved only the interactive usage, and apart from
\# as a symbol in replacement expressions only makes hitherto illegal
input legal, it should have no effect whatsoever on code stability.

I think that the functionality is user-accessible to a degree by now
that it would make sense mentioning it also in the Emacs manual, in
case people agree it is a worthwhile addition.

Personally, I think this functionality is the greatest thing since
sliced bread, but then I am obviously prejudiced.