Re: query-replace-interactive not documented

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive not documented
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:55:07 +0300

> Using a space to end a variable name after `\,' is a clean solution.

Using a space is fine, but not deleting it.

When the user wants to get a replacement like "value text" with the
space in it and writes the replacement expression "\,variable text",
and Emacs eats the space character and produces the replacement
"valuetext", this might be too annoying.

Instead of deleting the space, in cases where the user DON'T want a
space between a variable value and the followed text, he can add
separators like the close paren in "\,(or variable)text".

If such cases where users don't want a space are really too frequent,
we might find more complicated solution like for example, reading
from "\,variabletext" the whole symbol "variabletext" and chopping
characters from the end of the symbol: "variabletex", "variablete",
etc. and checking with `boundp' until we find a bound symbol.  This
works for all variables except locally bound in `perform-replace'
and `replace-eval-replacement'.  But the most frequently used local
variable is `replace-count' which now has a special symbol \#, so this
is not a big problem.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/