Re: One possible bug-tracking system.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: One possible bug-tracking system.
Date: 20 Jun 2004 08:38:00 -0500

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> We are in a feature freeze right now.  A bug tracker seems to have
> nothing to do with getting ready for the next release.  We are not
> going to get rid of every single bug before the next release.  Would
> be nice, but it is not going to happen.  Maybe there are a few bugs
> that are so major that they _need_ to be taken care of before the next
> release.  They can be listed in the etc/FOR-RELEASE file that Richard
> is going to create.  Can we not have a discussion about the long term
> need for a bug tracker and which form that should have _after_ the
> release?

That's right, a bug tracker has nothing to do with getting ready for
the next release.  (I thought we'd already established that those are
unrelated discussions...)

Preparing for the release is not everyone's priority.  Tracking bug
reports is an entirely different thing.  It's not about the upcoming
release.  It's about having a sense of what's wrong in Emacs at any
given time, so people who only have time to do discrete tasks can more
easily prioritize.  I don't believe that overview is possible without
a tracking system.  For some of us, the overview would be very
helpful, and would make us more helpful than we are right now.

I never said anything about getting rid of every single bug before the
next release, so I'm not sure what you're rebutting there :-).

Why does the discussion need to happen after the release?  Do you
think that the discussion is occupying people who would otherwise be
working on the manual, or on other things from Richard's list?  That's
not the case for me; I doubt it's the case for most other participants
either.

-Karl