Re: Problems due to grep.el introduction

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Problems due to grep.el introduction
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:14:15 -0500 (CDT)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   > From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
   > Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:51:03 +0200
   >
   > >    (autoload 'grep-regex-alist "grep")
   > >
   > > Comments?
   >
   > autoload doesn't work with variables.

   So maybe the example was bad, but the original question still stands:
   should we do that for some grep-* functions that were previously in
   compile?

Why not just use autoload cookies in grep.el, rather than adding
autoloads to compile.el?  Those _do_ work for variables and many
functions and some user options in grep.el already have autoload
cookies.  Otherwise, the autoloads you add to compile.el will
eventually be duplicated in grep.el _anyway_.  For instance, that is
what wound up happening to 34 of the 38 similar "dired-aux autoloads"
in dired.el.  That caused plenty of trouble because the autoloads in
dired.el never got updated, resulting in obsolete docstrings being
displayed and the like.  I recently removed all 38 "dired-aux
autoloads" in dired and added 4 autoload cookies to dired-aux.

Sincerely,

Luc.