Re: Malformed interactive spec in replace.el

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Malformed interactive spec in replace.el
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 11:46:30 +0200

On 06 Jul 2004 11:26:41 +0200
David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> And the way to do that is checking in completely new functionality
> that changes existing APIs, replaces existing functionality by
> something different without apparent need or discussion, and needs
> additional work to get it documented, tried out, compared to the
> behavior it replaces, and even just to work?

No, of course not.

> Our policy is feature freeze right
> now.  "Policy" does not mean that exceptions are impossible, but then
> we should have some consensus about them.

I know.

> So you claim this is just Stefan's way of suggesting he thinks we
> should not concentrate on the release?

No.  What I "claim", if I do claim anything at all, is that in many
projects, the line between "bugfix" and "little feature" is vague and
that often people finds difficult to restrain themselves to what
everyone would unambiguously call "bugfixes".  (Of course, my comments
are *very emphatically* not referring to Stefan or anyone else in
particular.)

> I fail to see those changes as an "outcome" to an "experiment" trying
> to see whether we can "restrict outselves into working to get a
> release out".

I'm not talking about those changes.  I'm saying that, in the two or
three months we've been on pre-release mode, there's been quite a few
comments (mostly by RMS and you, IIRC) about the need to focus on the
release.  That would suggest that people is (at least, on your and RMS'
eyes) not doing it.  Doesn't that mean anything?

The only reason that I would put forth for advocating the development
trunk/release branch model is that we're just a bunch of people on
voluntary work.  That doesn't mean we cannot concentrate on releasing.
But it's hard (if ever posible, or desirable) to push people one way or
other.

                                                                Juanma