Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:55:17 +0300

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
> Solving the drawbacks of invisible text is a separate issue.  There is
> a `search-invisible' option in isearch.el, but it can't find a string
> with invisible text inside it.  To discard invisible text when yanking
> it's possible to implement an option like `yank-excluded-properties'.

BTW, I noticed that the first item of etc/TODO describes exactly the
same need:

* Small but important fixes needed in existing features:

** Fix the kill/yank treatment of invisible text. At the moment,
  invisible text is placed in the kill-ring, so that the contents of
  the ring may not correspond to the text as displayed to the user. It
  ought to be possible to omit text which is invisible (due to a
  text-property, overlay, or selective display) from the kill-ring.

It would be quite easy to implement: for example, to create a new
boolean option, e.g. `yank-as-displayed', and in `insert-for-yank-1'
to handle it by deleting the text with `invisible' property and
replacing the text with `display' property by the display value
(though, I don't see how overlays could be handled here since they
are not saved with the text in the kill-ring).

Is it a right way to implement this?  This could be implemented now
given that it is described as "small but important fix".

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/