Re: query-replace-interactive

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 02:41:22 -0400

    Basically because they are actually more like a user-friendly frontend
    to query-replace-regexp-eval functionality than a command of their
    own.  Since arbitrary code can be executed by `\,', existing uses of
    all replacement commands in Lisp programs would have different
    implications for security.  I did not want to introduce security
    relevant changes in the middle of the release consolidation.

I see.  That is a good reason in the short run.

However, in the long run it would be better to make perform-replace
itself do these things, even though it means checking the callers.