Re: M-x compile should tell its status (a little bit better)..

From: Stephan Stahl
Subject: Re: M-x compile should tell its status (a little bit better)..
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:55:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hi David.

David Kastrup said:

>> This would do no harm, but mode-name is always supposed to be a string.
>
> Oooh.  I am moping because in AUCTeX, I was thinking of having a few
> "flags" attached to the mode-name, so that I can have a mode-name
> something like
>
> '((TeX-use-pdftex "PDF") TeX-base-mode-name (TeX-source-specials "^"))
>
> where the actual name is automatically composed from a few `lighters'
> that would look pretty foolish anywhere else.
>
> So may be I need to hand-construct mode-name after all.

I have seen that cc-mode has something similar. (c-toggle-hungry-state and
c-toggle-auto-state). It adds /h or /a or /ah to the mode name if they are
activated. It does so by adding

 (c-auto-hungry-string c-auto-hungry-string)

to minor-mode-alist. I think AUCTeX could do the same?

Well actually the docs to cc-mode are not 100% correct. It says:

   The state of the minor modes is always reflected in the minor mode
list on the modeline of the CC Mode buffer.  When auto-newline mode is
enabled, you will see `C/a' on the mode line(1).  When hungry delete
mode is enabled you will see `C/h' and if both modes were enabled, you'd
see `C/ah'.

I do however NOT see 'C/ah' in the mode line but 'C Outl o^o/ah'. cc-mode
should maybe append (c-auto-hungry-string c-auto-hungry-string) to the
front of minor-mode-alist? Then it would look like the docs say..

Stephan
--
Stephan Stahl