Re: Slow access to files using UNC path

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Slow access to files using UNC path
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:42:25 +0530

Hello,

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 07:09:32 +0200, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> said:
> > From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> > Date: 18 Jul 2004 04:31:54 +0200
> >
> > That's not the same.  The first matches either // or \ at the start
> > of a filename, the latter matches either / or \ at the start of a
> > filename.
> >
> > I don't know the context, though: maybe the second actually was what
> > was desired.  Or maybe it was // or \\ in which case we'd need
> > (string-match "^\(//\|\\\\\\\\\)")
>
> AFAIK, Windows behaves the same no matter if you pass it a forward
> slash or a backslash.  But a UNC _must_ start with two of them, so
> "^[/\\]" is not good enough.  It should be "^[/\\][/\\]" or something
> similar.

It should match: "\\" or "//" , which is basically 2 forward/backward
slashes
In normal regexp: I would have used: ^(\\\\|//) or as dak suggested:
(string-match "^\(//\|\\\\\\\\\)")
This just does _not_ work.

Ex: (string-match "^\(//\|\\\\\\\\\)" "//wolfdei/d/users/_emacs") ;;
which is a UNC notation for a folder on host "wolfdei"
The above regexp fails to match. I am not sure whether this is Windoze
specific though.

Are there any reasons for not supporting PERL compatible regular
expressions (through PCRE)? IMHO, PERL has the best
regular expression support and is very widely used.

with best regards.
dhruva
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Proud FSF member: #1935