Re: mail-extract-address-components extract modified full name

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: mail-extract-address-components extract modified full name
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:39:14 +0900

> Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden> writes:

>> In my opinion, we need a much simpler function to replace the
>> present mail-extract-address-components.

> Good idea.  I have disliked mail-extr* for a long time.  It is both
> complicated and not standards compliant.  If we are not going for
> standards compliance, it should be possible to do something simple,
> like the approach you propose.

I was encouraged reading your message.

[...]

> Quotation is what makes things complicated.  Consider:

> "foo \"baz bar" <address@hidden>
> "foo <address@hidden> bar" <address@hidden>
> "foo '"<address@hidden>'" bar" <address@hidden>

Wow!  I saw myself trying them on the rfc2047 encoder. :-p

> The standard permit even more weirder things, though, but we probably
> don't have to support those.

> Read me right, this is not critique of your idea, just something to
> keep in mind.

I see.  In fact, I have many opportunities to encounter such
things.  So, we will probably be unable to ignore them, I think.

> If you, or someone else, would like to implement the above idea, I
> will try to assist and write a self test suite of it.  Then we can
> detect regression problems in the future.  It is a big problem with
> mail-extr* that you don't know how a small change might affect
> practical use.

Thanks a lot.  I'm interested in writing the new code, although
for the moment I'm not sure whether I have time for it...

> Btw, I assume you are familiar with g-e-a-c.  It is rather simple,
> perhaps too simple.

> (defun gnus-extract-address-components (from)
>   "Extract address components from a From header.

Yes, it's too simple to parse two or more addresses in the
argument.  However, it can be an exemplar for writing a simple
and fast code.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden>