Re: Unicode support for the MS Windows clipboard

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Unicode support for the MS Windows clipboard
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:02:29 +0100

> Right.  The Unicode mode of the Windows clipboard is not really a
> coding-system, as it cannot be used in any other context.  Therefore,
> I think we should have a w32-clipboard-encoding-mode or some such, not
> a coding-system.

I don't see any point in introducing a new variable that will become
obsolete in the next version of Emacs. With Unicode as the internal
encoding of Emacs, it will always be better to use unicode-mode, so
there is no point in confusing users with the option. Even now, I
cannot think of any coding-systems that are supported by Windows that
we do not have Unicode support for. Since we originally discussed
Unicode clipboard support, the CJK unicode tables have been made to
autoload on demand, so the last remaining hurdle for making Unicode
the default on Windows is gone.