Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:47:53 +0530

Hello,

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:27:51 +0200, "Lennart Borgman"
<address@hidden> said:
> >  PATH. This could be done under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE if the current user
> >  is found to have access to it or modify it under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
> >  Infact, an option like in Cygwin installation could be made "Just for
> >  me/For all users" during installation.
>
> I agree. Do you know exactly what privileges are required for HKLM and
> HKCR
> write? (Admin or Poweruser are those my installer chooses between.)

I think a power user is sufficient for HKLM. Not sure for HKCR though.
The best way I check whether a user has valid permissions is by
attempting to create a key under say HKLM. If the user does not have
access, the call fails and I will know the user has insufficient
previlages, I then suggest a local installation for the current user
only.

> >  What installer is thought of? I have used NullSoft's installer and it
> >  is very easy to implement.
>
> I am using Inno Setup. I have not heard of NullSoft before.

I had tried Inno setup but found some limitations which I cannot thing
of immediately (I am not sure whether they exist now though). For
NullSoft's installer, you can have a look at
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/. They have very good support for scripting
which I found gave better/finer control.

with best regards,
dhruva
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Proud FSF member: #1935