Re: bug in frame-width

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bug in frame-width
Date: 12 Aug 2004 21:14:15 +0200

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

> It is more inconsistent than that.  The GTK version does not count the
> tool bar, because this is a GTK native tool bar and may not be an
> integral
> number of text lines (actually this makes the GTK version do the wrong
> thing when geometry is specified, it is on my TODO list).
>
> My view is that width and height should refer to available text area,
> exclusive of fringe, scroll bar, menu bar and tool bar.

And my view is that width and height should refer to available text
area when specified in the units of characters, and that it should
refer to the complete area inclusive of fringe, scroll bar, menu bar
and toolbar when specified in the unit of pixels.

And actually, I want my Emacs windows typically to be 80 characters
wide and about 740 pixels tall.  And when I change the font size, I
still want them 80 characters wide and 740 pixels tall.