Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: 25 Aug 2004 09:56:14 +0200

>       First of all, they're both GNU Emacs.  XEmacs is just as much a later
>       version of GNU Emacs as the FSF-distributed version.
>
> It isn't a later version, it it is a fork.

"as much a later version as" is pretty much the same as "fork".
Anyway, that was a quote from the Emacs FAQ as distributed with Emacs.
I would prefer not using the word "fork" there because of its negative
associations.  While the Emacs/XEmacs split certainly _is_ not
positive, there is really nothing to be gained anymore from stoking
the flames.

> Aside from that, this statement is accurate.

It better be, as we are distributing it with Emacs.  I find it a bit
contorted myself, but I don't have a better suggestion to make that
would seem worth the effort of discussion and polishing.