Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:42:22 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vinicius Jose Latorre" <address@hidden>
To: "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 7:40 PM

> > Will the new version of Emacs detect whether the default printer is a
>  > PostScript printer?
>
> Does Word detect if the default printer is PostScript printer or you have
> set default PostScript printer in Windows?

I am not sure of the details of how it is organized, but I will try to
explain the principles as far as I understand them. Word (or any other
program that wants to print) talks to a printer driver. This driver has
specific information about the printer choosen. Whether the translation to
PostScript takes place in Word or in the printer driver is not entirely
clear to me. However the version of Acrobat that create the pdf document
acts as a printer dirver and it has the capability to create a pdf document
from any program from which you can print. This makes me believe there is
some kind of meta-language for description of the printout that is
translated to PostScript by the printer driver.

Probably there then must be open source code for things like this in Open
Office and Mozilla.

- Lennart