Re: Fast completion with visible cue?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Fast completion with visible cue?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:13:02 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Is the following possible with some ad-on package?  If so, would it
>> make sense to enable the ad-on by default?  If not, what do people
>> think about adding this feature?
>
> [...]
>
>> Now, wouldn't it be Really Nice if the minibuffer prompt would
>> contain:
>>
>> Find File: ~/pro[CURSOR]ects/src/foo/doc/drafts/template/help.txt
>
> You know C-TAB?

No, but it doesn't appear to be exactly what I want, or I'm not using
it properly.  The feature I'm thinking of shouldn't need to be
initialized on certain directories, which seems to be required for
`filecache' (C-TAB).

I found `icomplete-mode' which does something quite similar for M-x to
what I want for C-x C-f. If only icomplete-mode could match against
the find-file history ring.  The user interface is too complicated to
be on by default, though, but if it were simplified (and could match
in the find-file history ring), it is approaching what I originally
wanted.

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> What about previous-complete-history-element?

How do I use it?