Re: CVS Emacs list-buffer-noselect calls set-window-buffer, displays eve

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CVS Emacs list-buffer-noselect calls set-window-buffer, displays every buffer briefly!
Date: 02 Sep 2004 16:48:49 -0400

>>> (set-window-buffer (selected-window) buffer)
>>> once for every buffer while building the buffer menu.  On my Windows XP
>>> machine, this makes Emacs briefely display every buffer for a fraction
>>
>> Isn't it a bug that a redisplay would happen in that loop?
>> Which function in that loop lets redisplay happen?

> It's definitely set-window-buffer, because when I remove the call to
> that function, the symptom goes away.

It might be, but it's not necessarily the case: in Emacs, redisplay is
a separate operation from "changes to the buffer or the window layout".
`set-window-buffer' changes the window-layout which means it changes "what
will be displayed at next redisplay" but it shouldn't call
redisplay itself.

My question is not directly related to your problem, in the sense that
I think your patch is OK (except it should add a comment explaining why we
removed the call to set-window-buffer), but I think that your problem also
exposed another bug in the C code.

        Stefan