Re: Proof-reading manuals (was Re: Rmail mbox-format branch)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Proof-reading manuals (was Re: Rmail mbox-format branch)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 07:19:06 -0400

    For lispref this way of organizing things may be reasonable, but for
    man it makes no sense.  It might be nice to have things like
    man/cl.texi updated, but such things are a luxury right now.  What we
    worry about now is the Emacs and Elisp manual and info.texi.

I agree.  Could you remove the other files from the `man' list, keeping
only info.texi and those that are part of the Emacs manual?
Also, remove gfdl.texi and gpl.texi if they are included.

    I proofread all of the Elisp manual except the chapters (if you do
    `C-h i elisp'):

    Advising Functions
    Debugging
    Customization
    Modes
    Text
    Processes
    Display
    Calendar

Nearly all the work that has been done, has been done by you,
and you are doing a very good job of it.

I am pretty sure there has been little change in the advice system.
If you could read the others of those sections, it would be very
useful.

    I did also not check or update:

    Antinews
    GNU Free Documentation License
    GPL
    Standard Buffer-Local Variables
    Standard Keymaps
    Standard Hooks
    New Symbols

The file lispref/anti.texi is for the Emacs 20 to 21 transition.
This file needs to be rewritten from zero, based on what's in
etc/NEWS since 21.1.

There is no need to review the GFDL and GPL sections.
Checking those four appendixes only needs to be done once,
if someone can do them in a careful way.