Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:54:56 +0200

>> From: Oliver Scholz <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:02:04 +0200
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> > I suggest to discuss that and try to identify the specific problems
>> > that you think will cause such an approach to fail.  Then we might
>> > have a better idea of the limitations of this approach, and could talk
>> > about solutions.
>>
>> Easy.  Just consider the HTML document attachted below.
>
> I looked at it, but I can't say I understand which specific problems
> you refer to.  Assuming that the Emacs buffer has the text layed out
> as you want it on the screen, plus whatever text properties that are
> necessary to preserve the style information, what specifically would
> cause Emacs to fail to display this as you want?

The nested blocks example:

The critical point here are the borders. As the comment says it is not
strictly speaking impossible: If I have a function to determine the
height of a face in pixels, I /could/ determine the height of a line,
programatically generate an PPM picture of the height of that line in
pixels, which is corresponds to a fraction of a vertical border line.
Doing this for each line I /could/ render the border. That's o.k. so
far. Then I have to update this whenever the user types something in
that paragraph. This seems to my like a reliable source for headaches.
But if you ask for impossibility, then you have a point here.

The table example:

The lines are not continous.  The font sizes differ widely, but the
relative line-spacing doesn't.

Maybe I can demonstrate it with another piece of code. If you evaluate
the code at this URL (I should have thought of posting links earlier):

you'll see a buffer with three table cells in a row. The problem here:
all table cells have the same line-spacing in pixels; they should have
the same /relative/ line spacing.  The middle cell, with the
smallest font size, should occupy much less vertical space than the
right column containing the largest font.

    Oliver
--
Oliver Scholz               Jour du Travail de l'Année 212 de la Révolution
Ostendstr. 61               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!