Re: ! in Dired--what was the outcome?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: ! in Dired--what was the outcome?
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:05:34 -0500 (CDT)

>From my previous message:

   If I remember well we decided to solve this as follows, proposed by
   David Kastrup:

      Bind * to insert a text-propertied (and thus recognizable and
      copy&pastable) x character with the display property of "<filename>".
      If people really need * itself, they can insert it using C-q *.

Actually, the problem concerned mainly `?'.  So if we decide to stick
with this solution (assuming somebody would be willing to implement it
and solve all other problems that need to be solved first to make it
work), it would actually be `?' that should be bound as described
above.  `*' could either be left alone or bound similarly with a
display property of "<list of files>" or whatever.

Sincerely,

Luc.