Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: James Clark
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:20:30 +0700

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 01:30, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > When encoding a buffer, I need to identify the whole paragraph as
>     > being of the type "h1".  I.e. I have to distinguish it from:
>
>     Maybe we can get some of the way with Emacs' category text properties?!
>
> The `category' property is meant for things like this.  But it is not
> used much if at all.  If its existing definition is not quite right,
> we can change it, or we could add a new feature that DTRT.

I wonder whether the value of the `category' property should be allowed
to be a list of atoms somewhat like with `invisible'.  This would allow
multiple emacs modes to use the `category' property without collision,
foo would have the property (category (b)) and bar would the property
(category (i b); i would have property face (:slant italic), b would
have property face (:weight bold) and the net result would be that foo
would be bold and bar would be bold and italic, which is what one would
want.

James
--
To send me mail, replace auth-only by public in the from address.