Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:04:33 -0400

> So I'm wondering a little about the details.  From some other
> projects, I'm used to an aproach where an X.Y.0 (or just X.Y) release
> is a "major" release, one which might break things, might have "more
> adventurous" changes in it, and might not happen very frequently , and
> an X.Y.Z (for Z > 0) release is just a bugfix release, which is made
> "as often as needed".  (Of course, X.0.0 releases would represent an
> even bigger change than X.Y.0 releases.)

Let's ignore version numbers for now.  The issue of how to number them seems
to always drift into never ending discussions and I have no interest
in them.  Use whichever scheme you like.

Let's call 21.1 FOO, 21.2 BAR and 21.3 BAZ.

FOO was a major release, BAR and BAZ were minor releases cur from a branch
(that started off of FOO) and with only safe bugfixes applied.

        Stefan