Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:20:49 -0500

> I don't understand the question; are you saying that bugfix releases
> don't need to go through a pretest phase?  I wasn't aware something
> like that was being proposed in these discussions.

I'm not sure about Jerome's position, but as my other message
suggested I'm fairly agnostic with respect to what process the emacs
developers will feel is appropriate for these more minor releases.  In
the end, the thing I'll have to evaluate is whether or not I feel I
can handle the work required by that process.

I can understand both the argument that these releases should be
tested just as fully as any other release, and the alternative
argument that they should be treated as much lighter-weight.

The latter argument usually claims that since the changes that go into
these releases are much more controlled (and much smaller) than other
releases, and since it's relatively easy to follow up a problematic
minor release with a repair, then the minor releases won't normally
need as much testing as the more major releases.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu