Re: Commenting invisible text

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Commenting invisible text
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:57:40 -0400

>> > Does not work for me either. Did you try the example?
>> Which example?  I didn't see any example,

> It is in my today's e-mail to which you have replied :-).
> (progn
>   (find-file "foo.el")
>   (insert "a\nb\n\c\n")
>   (put-text-property (point-min) (point-max) 'invisible t)
>   (comment-region (point-min) (point-max)))

Sorry, I missed that part.  You use a non-ellipsis invisible property, so
it's a different behavior than what you get with outline-minor-mode or
hs-minor-mode.

> I have now tried with the Emacs-CVS version also the original problem
> with Hide/Show, and it really works properly. This probably means that
> commenting invisible overlays already works, but not invisible text
> properties. Is it the intended behavior?

No, overlays and text-properties behave just the same in this respect.
The issue is whether the invisible text is really invisible or whether it's
replaced by an ellipsis (i.e. "...").  And yes, it's the intended behavior.

        Stefan