Re: C-c C-{l,r} in Enriched mode.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: C-c C-{l,r} in Enriched mode.
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:16:04 -0500 (CDT)

Alex Schroeder wrote:

   Actually we have global keybindings, we have a convention for major
   modes, and a convention for users to put their bindings.  Do we
   have something like that for minor modes as well?  I cannot
   remember.

Yes, but minor modes do not get much and they are not supposed to
interfere with each other.  That is, a minor mode is not supposed to
use a binding used by any other minor mode.

>From `(elisp)Coding Conventions':

   * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by `{', `}', `<', `>', `:'
     or `;' are also reserved for major modes.

   * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by any other punctuation
     character are allocated for minor modes.  Using them in a major
     mode is not absolutely prohibited, but if you do that, the major
     mode binding may be shadowed from time to time by minor modes.

That is not a lot of bindings for all minor modes combined.

Sincerely,

Luc.