Re: Xfree86 and the Meta key (+patch)

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Xfree86 and the Meta key (+patch)
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 23:52:58 +0200

Jérôme Marant wrote:
Quoting Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>:

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

I run xorg 6.8.1 and don't see any problems.

Me too.  But it works only because Emacs does not find a Meta key and
then uses the Alt key as Meta.  Thus you can't have both a Meta and an
Alt.

I don't have any problem either, and I have both Alt and Meta keys.

Did you test with the latest XFree86 releases? Since I haven't tested with
Xorg, I'm glad nothing wrong there.

I think there is something "wrong" in Xorg also. It behaves exactly as described in the bug report. Andreas, do you have an unmodified Xorg, with standard xkb maps and no xmodmap settings, and still manage to get Meta on the "Windows"-key using altwin:meta_win (i.e. assigning Meta to the "Windows"-key) as an option to xkb?

It is of course possible to get Meta and Alt keys on other keys than the "Windows"-key. As I read this bug report, it only applies to the "Windows"-key and only when using altwin:meta_win as an option to xkb. In that case, Emacs thinks the "Windows"-key sends Hyper-Super-Meta.

        Jan D.