Re: `exec shield' test in configure too strict?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `exec shield' test in configure too strict?
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:44:41 -0400

> I have checked in a test that runs a program and sees if the heap start
> address is random.  Can you try it on the Debian-with-a-Redhat-kernel
> machine (I forgot its name)?

I think there's no point bothering with that.
If /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield is non-zero, there's a risk we may need
setarch, so if setarch is available, use it.

If /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield is non-zero and there's no setarch, we
should just try anyway and see if it works.  If it works correctly, great.
If it doesn't work, there's little we can do anyway, so we can just output
a message referring the user to PROBLEMS.

Trying to predict whether it's going to work or not doesn't seem to make
much sense here since it doesn't allow us to resolve any problem we can't
solve otherwise.

        Stefan