Re: info faces for strings and quotations

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: info faces for strings and quotations
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:53:18 +0300

Apart from being a very useful feature, this also helps to find errors
visually in Info manuals.  For example, I noticed

1. one backquote missing in emacs-lisp-intro.texi:

  day alternative for the decision `if it is warm and sunny, then go to
  the beach, else read a book!''.

which should be:

  day alternative for the decision ``if it is warm and sunny, then go to
  the beach, else read a book!''.

2. closing paren missing in calc.texi:

-to a function are somehow of the wrong type (@address@hidden([2,3,4])},
+to a function are somehow of the wrong type (@address@hidden([2,3,4])}),

3. extra backslash in gnus.texi:

-      (any "mypackage@@somewhere\" - "bugs-mypackage" "mypkg.list")
+      (any "mypackage@@somewhere" - "bugs-mypackage" "mypkg.list")

But OTOH, there are some places where it fails on legitimate constructs.
Most serious cases I found where this feature completely fails are

1. (info "(eintr)else") with

  `"It's a tiger!"'; but when you evaluate `(type-of-animal 'zebra)',
  you will see `"It's not fierce!"'.

2. (info "(gnus)Group Parameters") where after the first quote
on the line

            if address \"sender\" \"address@hidden" {

the rest of the node is fontified in string face.

While I think this feature is useful enough to be ON by default,
expect a lot of bug reports unless these problems are fixed.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/