RE: pop-up tool-bar

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: pop-up tool-bar
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:44:42 -0700

That brings up a question. I don't know if this has been discussed and
decided already. If so, sorry.

Which is less disconcerting for you when you hide the tool-bar?

 - (current behavior) Move the buffer text up, so the same buffer line
starts the window as before you hid the tool-bar. That is, the buffer text
visible in the window doesn't change, but the physical position of the
window changes, so the text is effectively moved up, relative to the display
(rest of the world).

 - Move the buffer text down, to compensate for the tool-bar disappearance.
That is, replace the tool-bar with an equivalent number of lines of buffer
text. The text then stays in the same position relative to the display. This
would show a couple new lines at the window top, and, if the window size
remains the same, it would hide a couple lines previously shown at the
window bottom. The window doesn't show the same contents, but the contents
stay put (relative to everything in the world except the window).

I'm guessing that maybe the second would be better -- in most cases. The
text stays put -- just keep reading it. The first requires you to refind
where you were reading, because it has moved up a couple lines (relative to
your display).

What do you think?  If others agree, then the right thing to do would be to
fix this behavior. That would automatically fix the
behind-the-scenes-mouse-selection pb discussed previously (but I'm not
suggesting this to fix that). I realize there are arguments for each
behavior -- which is best overall?

Note: Obviously, if the window already shows the buffer beginning, then
there is no difference between the two behaviors (except perhaps at the
window bottom). And, in that case, the behind-the-scenes-mouse-selection pb
remains a pb.

 - Drew

FWIW, my Windows email client, Outlook, does what Emacs currently does.