Re: pop-up tool-bar

From: Miguel Frasson
Subject: Re: pop-up tool-bar
Date: 08 Oct 2004 08:12:32 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> Second, I don't understand your "Maybe..." paragraph. Is that related to the
> pb you mentioned, or is it a different topic? Are you perhaps suggesting
> here to disable the Tool Bar menu item, rather than hide it?
>
>  - If so, yes, that could be done, but I think it's better to get rid of it
> altogether - at least in the case where someone uses tool-bar-mode (shows
> tool-bar everywhere all the time). Currently, if you turn off tool-bar-mode,
> "Tool Bar" appears (assuming tool-bar-here-mode is on); if you turn on
> tool-bar-mode, "Tool Bar" disappears. That makes sense to me.
>
>  - If not, if this is a proposed solution to the selection pb, then disable
> what button? when?

My post, in this topic, was confising.  I meant something like: if
permanent toolbar, no "Buttons" menu item; if temporary toolbar (like, if
I use toolbar and it will disappear), then deactivate "Buttons" menu item.

> Third, in terms of the inadvertent selection pb: I don't have a good
> solution. How can the tool-bar be hidden after the mouse-up event takes
> place? The hiding needs to take place in the same command that shows it (and
> that pushes the next event back onto unread-command-events).
>
> The mouse-up event is two events removed from the event that triggers
> command show-tool-bar-for-one-command: 1) click Tool Bar, 2) mouse-down, 3)
> mouse-up. The Tool Bar click shows, then hides, the tool-bar, but the hiding
> doesn't take place until the mouse-down.
>
> I tried doing things like (if transient-mark-mode (deactivate-mark)) in the
> unwind-protect (to not show the inadvertent selection), but that didn't
> help. There's probably a simple solution I'm not seeing. Anyone?

I have not tried, but did you try something with `run-with-idle-timer'?
I don't know if Emacs is not idle meanwhile the mouse events are not
complete... if it is idle, this can provide a solution.

Its a good idea if the variable customizable variable `idle-update-delay'
(if I understand its function) is respected.  No problem if the toolbar
stays a little longer visible, if user likes so.  But I am not sure if
this is the meaning of `idle-update-delay' (maybe this is for tooltips or
so...)

Maybe the delay for the hide of the toolbar could be an option.  I don't
know whether this is a good idea.

Miguel.

--
Miguel Vinicius Santini Frasson