Re: Small enhancement for add-log.el

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Small enhancement for add-log.el
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:44:58 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> I still do not understand why you expect q in a Changelog buffer to do
> anything else but insert itself, as it does in any other editable
> buffer.

Personally I would find it "consistent" if 'q' could be used to quit
out of any buffer that I have just "looked at" and never intended to
change--whether I opened it (or some other command opened it) in
view-mode or not (as is the case for pcl-cvs).

Whether I can 'expect that' is another issue -- for me, the
convenience of being able to do so would IMHO greatly exceed the
rare(?) inconvenience of having to do something special if I
really need to insert a 'q' as the first character in a buffer after
opening it.

Of course, if I also want SPC and DEL to behave like view-mode, things
may get more confusing.

>    Still, it should be possible to have a sort of "pseudo-view-minor-mode"
>    which works like view mode until you make some "real change" to a file.
>
> I believe it would be _way_ too confusing to the
(unprepared)
>                                                  user to enable
> anything like that by default.

I agree it should not be the default (although my patch suggested that).

>                                 It could be argued that no feature
> does any harm if completely optional, but I can not see why it would
> be worth the trouble.

YMMV.

I could make a pseudo-view-minor-mode that does what I want and then
hook it into various modes as I see fit.  At least I wouldn't

> Apart from that there does not seem to be a big problem.  accidentally
> inserting a character is no big deal.  You either hit `undo' or
> Backspace.  End of problem.  Happens all the time for various reasons.

If it was just the 'accident' -- but I really like to be able to use
'q' to quit.