Re: displaying 8bit characters octal sequences

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: displaying 8bit characters octal sequences
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:12:19 -0400

>> My crystal ball tells me you're using `standard-european-display' and you
>> think that's enough to be in unibyte mode.  Not so any more.
>> If you want unibyte mode, you need to ask for it explicitly.

> I am not sure I understand correctly what you say. No matter whether
> I use "emacs --no-init-file" or "emacs --unibyte --no-init-file"
> I will not see the octal sequences. Where does the
> standard-european-display come from? (Normally, I always use --unibyte.)

Duh, you're right.

..... yes, now I remember ..... someone changed the default display of
eight-bit-graphic chars: in multibyte buffers it's as before
(i.e. octal sequences), but in unibyte buffers they're displayed as
you're seeing them (i.e. as which ever glyph your default font chose for
those non-ascii chars).

Kim did you do this change?  I couldn't find mention of it in NEWS (looked
for "unibyte" and "eight-bit") and don't know how a user can overrule
this change.

        Stefan