Re: [patch] Prevent passwords from being display in shell mode

From: Jérôme Marant
Subject: Re: [patch] Prevent passwords from being display in shell mode
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:51:19 +0200

> Does anyone see a problem in this patch?
> One thing I wonder about is whether it is reliable enough
> in recognizing when to operate.

I noticed this in the Emacs manual (shell mode):

-=-=-=-=-
M-x send-invisible <RET> text <RET> Send text as input to the shell,
    after reading it without echoing. This is useful when a shell
    command runs a program that asks for a password.

    Alternatively, you can arrange for Emacs to notice password
    prompts and turn off echoing for them, as follows:

          (add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
                    'comint-watch-for-password-prompt)
-=-=-=-=-

My patch adds the hook whenever the shell mode is activated.
(comint-output-filter-functions is buffer-local, so I guess
there is no clash with other modes using comint as well?)

Why isn't it so by default?

Thanks.

--
Jérôme Marant