Re: pop3.el itegration with netrc.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: pop3.el itegration with netrc.el
Date: 14 Oct 2004 14:37:27 -0400

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, address@hidden wrote:

> "Ted Zlatanov" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> pop3.el seems to be separate from the rest of Gnus, so I'm not sure if
>> I should add netrc.el (authinfo) support to it - then pop3.el would
>> also depend on gnus-encrypt.el.  Please advise.
>
> There are many incompatible forks of pop3.el, the copy in Gnus CVS
> used to be one of them.  I see now that the copies in Gnus CVS and
> Emacs CVS are in sync.  I'm not sure how that happened, but it is a
> good thing.  So perhaps we can make this one the canonical copy, and
> add new features to it.  I'd say go ahead.

I've cc-ed the emacs-devel list in case anyone there has suggestions.
This is regarding pop3.el and its use of netrc (~/.authinfo) files.

> Btw, is it difficult to modularize gnus-encrypt.el into, say,
> encrypt.el, that doesn't use a lot of Gnus functions?  I recall some
> discussions about that, though.

This may be a good time to make that break.  The current
gnus-encrypt.el can be turned into encrypt.el with very few changes
except for the dependency on password.el, which is in Gnus.
gnus-encrypt.el will remain as a wrapper for Gnus, using password.el
and allowing closer integration with other Gnus libraries.  This is
not the real problem, though.

The root problem is that netrc.el is a part of Gnus I can't break out
(I think), so the Gnus version of pop3.el will have a dependency we
don't want.  Maybe we should have gnus-pop3.el to implement what I'm
proposing, so pop3.el remains clean of Gnus dependencies?

Ted