Re: ! in Dired--what was the outcome?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ! in Dired--what was the outcome?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:15:46 +0200

Reinhard Kotucha <address@hidden> writes:

>     > If you really need {}, you can quote one
>     > of the two characters, like '{'} or {\}.
>
> I'd prefer to force people to quote both braces, for example '{}' or

This form is useless, as it does not hide the {} pattern.  We don't
want the command line to start messing with quoting characters if we
can avoid it.  If you want symmetry, use {''} instead.

> \{\}.

That's ok.  But I don't see why one should _force_ anybody to use that.

> Otherwise syntax checkers have to know that there is something
> special.

Syntax checkers?  On ad-hoc entered dired command lines?  Are we
talking about the same thing still?

Ok, brace matching will complain, but that is no catastrophe.