Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:45:45 -0400

       Anything but a progress message should go into *Messages*.

    Definitely not.  For instance, messages that are supposed to help the
    user decide what to do next are useless during macro execution.

Maybe you are right about that.

So, are the messages which currently are controlled by testing
interactive-p messages of that kind?  Someone should look.

    When the user currently tests a keyboard macro, he tests it with the
    current behavior.  Hence, the current behavior of `interactive-p'
    determines whether the macro does what the user wants it to do,

This argument assumes that people who wrote this code knew what they
were doing.  I can't assume that.  I want to see what sort of messages
they really are.  I want someone to look at them.

      I use most
    > keyboard macros with very large or zero numeric arguments, that is, in
    > long loops.

I don't.