Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:45:31 -0400

    > Anything but a progress message should go into *Messages*.

    In principle yes, in practice I'm not sure..

    If I use such a command in a macro and I do M-1000 C-x e, I get
    1000 similar messages in *Messages* -- or actually just the last
    message-log-max (50) copies. ... for what purpose ?

That is an interesting question--what to do when the macro is repeated
so many times.  Perhaps that case should be handled differently.
For instance, if a macro is repeating many times, maybe only in the last
few times should Fmessage actually put something into *Messages*.
Before them maybe it could insert a line of ellipses.

Would you like to implement that?  It could be done with changes
in xdisp.c.  To reliably get the last iterations might require
inserting the messages on every iteration, but deleting each iteration
once it gets "old".  This is a little like what message-log-max
does; you could think of it as a separate limit on messages from
macros.

But this has nothing to do with what to do about interactive-p and
its callers.