Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:21:13 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> In Gnus, I get buttons displayed like
>> [attachment image.jpg]
>>
>> I can click with the middle button to execute a default operation.
>> What I do more frequently is click with the left button, then press a
>> key like "o" to indicate the action.  Most (but I don't think all)
>> actions can be selected with a context menu on the right mouse button,
>> but that also means that I have to use a mouse-based file dialog,
>> which is far more inconvenient.  It is also much faster for me to type
>> a single letter than to drag the mouse cursor to the right menu entry.
>>
>> If clicking mouse-1 on the button would launch the default action,
>> this would be far more inconvenient for me.
>
> I see the problem.  Maybe mouse-2 could set the point ?

Basically you propose that we interchange button-1 and button-2 on
active text areas.  If I take packages like preview-latex, we can
click on formula images in it.  Mouse button 2 gets you the source
text, but you can also just mark it by dragging mouse-1, or by
clicking mouse-1 on the image, and mouse-3 behind it.

Your proposal would mean that I have to click mouse-2 and mouse-3
around the area for marking, or drag mouse-1.

> Anyways, nobody would force you to use the mouse-1-follows-link
> feature.

That's never a good argument.  If we want to introduce a new feature,
we want to make it as good as possible instead of claiming it is the
user's fault anyway if he chooses to activate it.