Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:08:47 +0200

Stefan <address@hidden> writes:

>> On the third hand, perhaps Gnus 5.13 will happen before the next major
>> Emacs release?  I'm not sure what the plan is.
>
> True: if we keep making changes to the code, it'll never get released.
> So I suggest we stick to the "code freeze" and we don't try to change
> Emacs-CVS right now to use passwd.el and encrypt.el.  Adding passwd.el and
> encrypt.el sounds like a good idea, but changing the other files to use them
> is not.

I agree, if you mean that we shouldn't change _Gnus related_ files, in
Emacs, to use password.el.  Those changes could go into Gnus CVS.  I
think it may be useful to change some other Emacs packages, like
telnet.el, though.  I don't use telnet.el, but perhaps there are other
packages I use that currently have some ad-hoc password handling code.

Incidentally, I realized that password.el could be enhanced with
support for netrc.el (i.e., passwords stored in ~/.authinfo), or even
storing passwords via customize (in ~/.emacs).