Re: Another bug with the macro counter

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Another bug with the macro counter
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:13:19 -0500 (CDT)

David Kastrup wrote:

   (eval-when-compile (defvar edebug-active))

Stefan can clarify, but I understood his objection as meaning that if
somebody later added a function that assumed that `edebug-active' was
defined, then the compiler would no longer warn about that.  It does
not look as if the `eval-when-compile' would change anything about
that.

Of course, even though (if (boundp 'edebug-active) edebug-active) is
equivalent in its effects to (and (boundp 'edebug-active) edebug-active)
it seems stylistically inferior, since it makes the intent and logical
structure less clear, especially as it interacts with `or'.

It seems that we can not win on both counts.  In the latest patch I
sent, I followed Stefan's suggestion but put in a comment.

But I do not really have any strong opinion on the subject.

Sincerely,

Luc.