Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:09:55 -0500

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, address@hidden wrote:

> It was added later on, not by me.  I suppose he who added it might
> argue that it is useful, though.  I tend to think that there should
> only be one worked out interface.  (I'm not saying the current API,
> without p-r-a-a is the best interface, only that it would be better
> with only one interface.)

I added it for the purpose of decrypting a file, which is a one-shot
deal.  If it fails, it fails - you don't try to reopen the file as you
would a network connection, and you don't necessarily know that it
failed (for example, the encrypt.el XOR cipher produces garbage with a
bad password but otherwise there's no indication that there was an
error).  The only problem is that the password is then memorized, so
if it was bad it will stay around.

Either I should add an option to ask y/n if the decryption was OK
after the first time a password is entered, or I will give the user a
way to clear a bad password.  Any other suggestions are welcome.
Please note again that we don't necessarily know the decryption
failed.  Maybe we should not memorize encryption passwords at all?
That would be tedious, though, if you encrypt a lot of files with the
same cipher...

Ted