Re: GTK emacs (and access to GTK)

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: GTK emacs (and access to GTK)
Date: 02 Nov 2004 22:41:31 +0000

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

> > A related question: what are the views about allowing Emacs to create
> > GTK objects directly?
> >
> > I know it is generally frowned upon to export native window system
> > primitives into Emacs but because GTK is a GNU lib maybe there could
> > be an exception.
> >
> > William Perry already wrote some code for XEmacs which could maybe
> > serve as a guide?
> >
> >   http://www.cs.indiana.edu/elisp/gui-xemacs/
> I haven't looked at that code, so I can't say how much effort there is to do
> this.  It is something for the future, and has some advantages.  For example,
> Emacs could make its own file dialog where things like tramp works.

I think it would improve usability for newbies because things like
configuration buffers could be made to appear (by preference) as GTK

As you say: things like tramp and even search and replace, could have
GTK facades.

Of course, no one here would use them. But I know a lot of programmers
who are just too scared to learn emacs, if they could fool themselves
into thinking it was just an editor they might take the plunge.

I'd be interested in helping hacking on this if someone else led the