java and tag completion

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: java and tag completion
Date: 04 Nov 2004 01:24:40 +0000

Can anyone tell me if tag completion works properly for Java source

I've built a tags table in the correct way and I can find tags in the
source tree (which is useful) but what I really want is 'proper'
completion, ie: I type an instance variable "." half a method name and
Emacs works out what method I am using.

For example, in the following code:

  com.nic.Xyz x = new com.nic.Xyz("hello");

If I do tag completion now I would expect Emacs to complete the
code thusly:

It doesn't. It does work sometimes...

Is it expected to work? Or is Java a bit too odd to do traditional tag

(I am sketching out an alternative using a similar system to tags).

Nic Ferrier