Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:27:19 +0200

> Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 17:45:07 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden
> Kim Storm wrote:
>    I made the change.
>    So 'make bootstrap' now removes the .elc files.
>    There is a new 'make bootfast' target that doesn't do this (identical to
>    the old 'make bootstrap'.
> I took another look at INSTALL.CVS and, after this change, we can
> probably leave INSTALL.CVS unchanged.

I don't think so.  I think we should tell when the new bootfast target
should be used.  After all, it is there for a reason.

Could Stefan, or someone else who uses the fast bootstrap, please tell
how do they know when it is safe to use it?  Is there some method
besides trial-and-error?

Here's something about "make bootfast" that I wonder whether it could
cause trouble in specific situations: could the bootstrap-prepare and
bootstrap-clean-before targets that run before it remove some files
which will cause the rest of bootstrap fail in a way similar to what I